Airports in Long Beach and Orange County were shut down early Tuesday because of bomb threats, but no explosive devices were found, officials said.
Bomb threats were made by telephone, both around 3 a.m., officials said. It was unclear if they were related, said Transportation Security Administration spokesman Nico Melendez.
At Long Beach, the closure delayed some morning flights because security officials had to screen many passengers at once. One American Airlines flight was canceled.
No flights in or out of John Wayne Airport in Orange County were affected because officials finished investigating before the first flight departed at 7 a.m., said airport spokeswoman Jenny Wedge.
Both airports are located within 50 miles (80 kilometers) of Los Angeles. In San Diego, a terminal at San Diego International Airport was evacuated around 7:45 a.m. after luggage screeners mistook a child's toy and a cookie for bomb-making components, officials said.
The terminal was reopened about 9:20 a.m. and passengers were allowed back in, said Jennifer Peppin, a spokeswoman for TSA. Five commuter flights to Los Angeles and one flight to Salt Lake City were delayed, said Steve Shultz, an airport spokesman, AP reports.
In response to the unlawful December 1 arrest and detention of Chinese tech giant Huawei's chief financial officer Sabrina Meng Wanzhou by Canadian authorities in Vancouver at the behest of the Trump regime, facing possible unacceptable extradition to the US, Beijing warned its high-tech personnel last month against traveling to America unless it's essential.
Rescuers found the pilot of one of the two Su-34 fighters that had collided in midair in the Far East on January 18