An Angora goat, who lives in the zoo of the city of Krasnoyarsk (in Siberia) was on the brink of death because of the food that the animal had received from visitors. The animal was placed in a special enclosure during the celebration of Maslenitsa (Pancake Week) so that children could have a closer look at the goat.
"Soon after the holiday, zoo employees noticed that the goat did not feel well. They saw popcorn flakes scattered in the enclosure and realized that the animal had eaten too much of it. Sugar triggers fermentation and abdominal distention in the digestive tract of bovines. It may kill animals," officials with the press service of the zoo said.
The popcorn-loving goat had to be operated on, Newslab.ru reports. Veterinary specialists made injections to reduce fermentation. They also pierced the goat's stomach to release the gas inside. The goat's life is out of danger now, they said. Marusya will be able to return to her enclosure in the nearest future.
The goat was born in the zoo last summer. Unlike her congeners, the animal was bottle-fed. Zoo specialists said that the zoo animals could be fed only with the special fodder that visitors can buy on the territory of the zoo.