IN THE WORLD:
- National holiday of the Republic of Kenya - Independence Day /1963/.
- Day of proclamation of neutrality in Turkmenia /on December 12, 1995 the 50th session of the UN General Assembly granted Turkmenia /the only republic of the former Soviet republics/ the status of a neutral state.
- 1863 - 140 years ago Edvard Munch was born /died in 1944/, a Norwegian artist whose world outlook was shaped under the influence of the writings of symbolic writers; most of the artist's paintings belong to his cycle "Frieze of Life" /"The Artist's Sister", "The Scream", "Girls on the Bridge", etc./.
- 1908 - 95 years ago Gustav Ernesaks was born /died in 1993/, an Estonian composer and choir conductor; for many decades led the well-known state academic male choir of Estonia, was an invariable chief conductor of republican choral festivals.
- 1928 - 75 years ago Chinghiz T.Aitmatov was born, a Soviet Kyrghyz writer; the authors of novellas "Dzhamila", "The Mother's Field", "Goodbye, Gulsary", "The White Steamboat" and the novels "A Day Lasting Longer Than the Century", "The Executioner's Block", "Cassandra's Brand".
- Day of the Constitution of the Russian Federation /adopted 10 years ago /1993/ in the course of a nationwide vote; the Russian president's decree of September 19, 1994 declared this day a state holiday of Russia/.
- 1773 - 230 years ago the Moscow Academic Choreographic School was founded.
- 1792 - 211 years ago Denis I.Fonfizin died /born in 1744 or 1745/, a writer, the founder of the Russian social comedy; in his works he created vivid characters that became household words.
- 1872 - 131 years ago the Museum of Applied Knowledge opened in Moscow, the present-day Polytechnic Museum, - 1918 - 85 years ago Oleg G.Gazenko was born, a physiologist who took part in organizing space biological and medical research that helped to substantiate the possibility of man's flight into space, and then in ensuring these missions; his basic works are about space physiology, especially on the impact of zero gravity on the human body.
- 1993 - 10 years ago the first elections to the Federal Assembly of the Russian Federation - a new Russian parliament - were held.
- 1997 - 6 years ago Post No.1 of honorary guards was set up at the Eternal Flame on the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier outside the Kremlin wall /before that it was stationed outside the Lenin Mausoleum in Red Square/.
Putin's official spokesman Dmitry Peskov commented on remarks in the US media about failures in launching nuclear-capable missiles in Russia
The Buk system that shot down MH17 belonged to the 53rd SAM missile brigade of the Russian Ministry of Defense, investigators say after looking at a few pictures on the net
It has long been understood that the West has been trying to subject Russian borders to total control. We have not seen such activity even during the Cold War