A court has ordered a German man who jumped a security barrier and grabbed hold of Pope Benedict XVI's popemobile last year to undergo treatment, but stopped short of sending him to a psychiatric hospital.
The 28-year-old, who was not identified, was swiftly tackled and pinned to the ground by security guards trailing the popemobile in the Vatican's St. Peter's Square on June 6 last year.
On Monday, the Waldshut-Tiengen state court in southwestern Germany put the man, who suffers from a bipolar disorder, on four years' probation.
To avoid the man from being sent to a psychiatric hospital during that period, the court ruled that he must begin psychotherapeutic treatment and continue with medication he is already taking, undergoing regular check-ups.
He also was banned "categorically" from consuming alcohol and drugs and was ordered to undergo regular urine tests, the court said in a statement late Monday.
It said the man's health has "stabilized significantly" over the year since the incident, and that the conditions attached to Monday's verdict should encourage a further improvement.
The German-born pontiff was not harmed in last year's incident and appeared not to have even noticed. He did not look back and kept on waving and blessing the crowd.
Near the United Nations Glass Palace in New York, there is a metallic sculpture entitled "Evil Defeated by Good", representing Saint George transfixing a dragon with his lance. It was donated by the USSR in 1990 to celebrate the INF Treaty concluded with the USA in 1987