Source AP ©

Overdose kills Heath Ledger

By Anastasia Tomazhenkova: The New York City medical examiner announced that Australian actor Heath Ledger died of an accidental overdose of painkillers, sleeping pills, anti-anxiety medication and other prescription drugs.

The cause of death was "acute intoxication by the combined effects of oxycodone, hydrocodone, diazepam, temazepam, alprazolam and doxylamine," spokeswoman Ellen Borakove said in a statement.

The drugs are the generic names for the OxyContin painkiller, the anti-anxiety drug Valium, Xanax, an anti-anxiety drug, and the sleep aids Restoril and Unisom. Hydrocodone is a widely used prescription painkiller.

Borakove wouldn't say what concentrations of each drug were found in Ledger's blood, or whether one drug played a greater part than another in causing his death.

"What you're looking at here is the cumulative effects of these medications together," she said.

The ruling comes two weeks after the 28-year-old Australian-born actor was found dead in the bed of his rented SoHo apartment. Police found bottles of six types of prescription drugs, including sleeping pills and anti-anxiety medication, in his bedroom and bathroom.

Ledger was discovered by his masseuse on Jan. 22 after she arrived for an appointment that afternoon. She entered his bedroom to set up for the massage and found him unresponsive, and proceeded to call actress Mary-Kate Olsen three times over the next 9 minutes before dialing emergency services. Ledger had been dead for some time, and police say there was no foul play.

Ledger, nominated for an Oscar for his role in "Brokeback Mountain," had returned to New York from London days before his death, where he had been filming a $30 million Terry Gilliam film. He said in a November interview that his most recent completed roles in the Batman movie "The Dark Night" and Bob Dylan biopic "I'm Not There" had taken a toll, saying he couldn't sleep.

"Last week I probably slept an average of two hours a night," Ledger told The New York Times. "I couldn't stop thinking. My body was exhausted, and my mind was still going." He said he had taken two Ambien pills, which only gave him an hour of sleep.

Ledger's family returned to the actor's hometown of Perth, Australia on Tuesday to prepare for his funeral. Arrangements were private.

In a statement released through Ledger's publicist, Ledger's father, Kim, said Wednesday: "While no medications were taken in excess, we learned today the combination of doctor-prescribed drugs proved lethal for our boy. Heath's accidental death serves as a caution to the hidden dangers of combining prescription medication, even at low dosage."

Comments
The Amazon and the New Conquistadores
The Amazon and the New Conquistadores
Russians lose faith in their future, get ready for worse
Without INF Treaty, USA can destroy Russian nuclear weapons easily
Malaysia complains of faulty Russian Sukhoi Su-30 fighter jets
Without INF Treaty, USA can destroy Russian nuclear weapons easily
USA plays to pretend a mighty dragon that can no longer breathe fire
USA plays to pretend a mighty dragon that can no longer breathe fire
Putin sees no drama if Russia misses Davos forum
Macron challenges Trump. French independence and croissants at stake
Putin's three days in Singapore mark Russia's major geopolitical changes since 2000
Putin's three days in Singapore mark Russia's major geopolitical changes since 2000
Moving inexorably towards war
Putin dislikes the idea of US army bases coming to Kuril Islands
Putin dislikes the idea of US army bases coming to Kuril Islands
Putin sees no drama if Russia misses Davos forum
How can Americans and Russians understand each other?
How can Americans and Russians understand each other?
How can Americans and Russians understand each other?
Brexit: The UK's misunderstanding of Democracy
Russian FM Lavrov warns of possible war between Russia and USA