IN THE WORLD:
- The Day of St. Nicholas in Catholic countries /the main children's holiday in Western Europe/.
- The national holiday of Finland, the Independence Day /on December 6, 1917 the Finnish government adopted the declaration of independence; on December 31, 1917 the revolutionary government of Soviet Russia headed by Vladimir Lenin acknowledged Finland's independence/.
- English playwright Nicholas ROWE /1674-1718/, the publisher of the first collected works by William Shakespeare in the 18th century and the author of the first biography of Shakespeare, died 285 years ago.
- French chemist and physicist Joseph Louis GAY-LUSSAC /1778-1850/ was born 225 years ago /discovered gas laws which were given his name/.
- French scientist, aviation and astronautics pioneer Robert ESNAULT-PELTERIE /1881-1957/ died 46 years ago /he created the first monoplane/.
- The fourth main expedition to the International Space Station started 2 years ago, in 2001. The Endeavor space shuttle was launched from Cape Canaveral. The crew included Russian cosmonaut Yuri Onufriyenko and 6 US astronauts. Endeavor delivered the Italian Rafaello MPLM for extra equipment of the International Space Station.
- Revolutionary democrat, poet and publicist Nikolai P. OGAREV /1813-1877/ was born 190 years ago /in immigration from 1856/.
- The Filatov Moscow Children's Municipal Clinic was founded 161 years ago, in 1842 /at the time its title was Children's Hospital/.
- Ossetian writer and literary critic Gaito /Georgy/ I. GAZDANOV /1903-1971/ was born 100 years ago. He wrote only in Russian. In immigration from 1920. The author of novels "A Soiree at Claire's", "Pilgrims", "Awakening", etc.
- Surgeon, writer and academician Nikolai M. AMOSOV /1913-2002/ was born 90 years ago. He performed more than 4,000 heart operations. The author of books "Thoughts and Heart", "Meditations on Health", "A Book on Happiness and Misfortunes", etc.
- writer Sergei P. ZALYGIN /1913-2000/ was born 90 years ago. The author of novels "Salty Fold", "Commission", "After a Storm" and "The Ecological Novel", a story "Namesakes", articles on nature protection. Editor-in-chief of the Novy Mir /New World/ journal from 1986.
Not that long ago, American soldiers would train their skills to counter insurgent and partisan military organizations. These days, they are trained to show resistance to the regular army of a potential adversary