Source AP ©

2 teens accuse police officers of ordering rape

Two teenagers alleged that two police officers ordered other prisoners to rape them at a police station. The officers are under investigation.

A lieutenant and first lieutenant at the Kafr el-Sheik station allegedly ordered older prisoners to rape the teenagers, ages 16 and 17, after the two were arrested for drug possession last week and ordered detained for four days, the officials said. They spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak to the media about the case.

After their release, the teenagers' families filed a complaint with the local prosecutor's office, and a forensic examination taken after they left police custody showed they were recently sexually abused, the officials said.

The Egyptian government has not confirmed the investigation. But on Wednesday, the Interior Ministry released a statement saying the police director of the Kafr el-Sheik station, a police general and two of his senior assistants were removed from their posts and transferred to administrative jobs. The statement did not elaborate.

But the prosecution officials said the transfers was related to investigation at the station, located about 180 kilometers (110 miles) north of Cairo. It was not immediately known if the two teenagers have been charged with drug possession.

Human rights groups say torture, including sexual abuse, is routinely used in police stations and in the interrogation of prisoners, but the government denies it is systematic. In recent years, the Interior Ministry, which supervises detention facilities has investigated many officers on allegations of torture.

Some officers have been indicted, convicted and received prison sentences, but the punishments have not been harsh even in cases were the victim died because of torture. Many officers also have been pardoned before the end of their sentences.

Last week in a high-profile case, an Egyptian court convicted two police officers and sentenced them to three years in prison for torturing and sexually abusing a 22-year-old bus driver.

During the trial, the driver, Emad el-Kabir, recounted to the judge how two officers sexually abused him and used a cell phone to film the abuse.

That cell phone video appeared on several Egyptian blogs and later YouTube. The trial was the first in Egypt involving video that was circulated on the Internet.

In an exclusive interview with Pravda.Ru, US filmmaker talks to Edu Montesanti on the presidential elections in the Caribbean country, and its importance to Latin America. "The left will come back in Latin America, more likely sooner than later," says Oliver Stone

Exclusive Interview: Oliver Stone on Venezuelan Election

In an exclusive interview with Pravda.Ru, US filmmaker talks to Edu Montesanti on the presidential elections in the Caribbean country, and its importance to Latin America. "The left will come back in Latin America, more likely sooner than later," says Oliver Stone

Exclusive Interview: Oliver Stone on Venezuelan Election