New facts of "shocking and terrifying" killing of an innocent Brazilian man has appeared recently. A British Television network reports the man was behaving normally and was wearing ordinary clothes, not heavily padded coat as initially claimed.
TV News based its report on secret documents and photographs the network said it obtained about the death of Jean Charles de Menezes, an immigrant electrician who was shot eight times after being cornered in a subway car on July 22, a day after four failed attempts to bomb the city's transport system.
Police later adImitted de Menezes had nothing to do with the terrorist attacks and apologized to his family and the Brazilian government, CNN reports.
ITV News, citing the documents and photographs, reported that de Menezes was not carrying any bags when he entered the Stockwell Tube station and was wearing a denim jacket, rather than a bulky coat as police had previously said.
De Menezes walked at a normal pace, did not vault any barriers and even stopped to pick up a newspaper, ITV News reported.
He descended to the train slowly on an escalator, then ran toward the open subway car and took a seat, according to ITV, which based its account on a document outlining what was captured on surveillance footage.
At about the same time, armed officers were provided with positive identification that de Menezes was either Hussain Osman, one of the suspected bombers from the day before, or another suspect, at which point he was shot, ITV News reported.
Harriet Wistrich, lawyer for the de Menezes family, told Channel Four News that they were distressed at the new revelations: "I think it is absolutely shocking and terrifying. There's obviously some level of incompetence here or some serious breakdown in communications with the various officers involved in surveillance."
The new account was said to have been obtained from the Independent Police Complaints Commission investigation into the killing of the 27-year-old.
The IPCC refused to confirm or deny the truth of the information, while Scotland Yard and the Home Office said it would be inappropriate to comment, This is London informs.
Liberty director Shami Chakrabarti said the emerging details were "more and more troubling" and highlighted the need for a "truly independent" investigation.
Photo by CNN.
Rescuers found the pilot of one of the two Su-34 fighters that had collided in midair in the Far East on January 18