An explosion at a Kuwait media centre in Beirut on Monday that killed a security official and injured two other people was not a terrorist attack but a "mistake," according to the head of the centre.
"It was a parcel [conataining the explosive] that was stored in our office for the past two years," the media centre's manager, Faysal Mutalalqnin told Adnkronos International describing the blast as "an accident". The parcel was found again and opened by mistake," said Mutalaqnin. He did not provide any information on what type of explosive was contained in the parcel and why it had been stored in the media centre.
The device which killed the media centre's security chief and two employees went off at around 10 am on the tenth floor of the Aresco Tower in the central Beirut district of Hamra, the AKI reports.