Aide to the Russian Navy Commander Igor Dygalo confirms the information of the Northern Fleet hydrometeorological service that weather will worsen on the site of the operation for lifting the fragments of the Kursk's first compartment. The submarine sank in August 2000 and was lifted (without the 1st compartment) in autumn 2001.
Currently, weather conditions in the Barents Sea do not permit Northern Fleet ships to sail for the operation site, he stressed. Waves on the Barents Sea are 4 points high; speed of wind is over 17 meters per second, with gusts 20 meters per second. "The forecast is not optimistic for several days to come," Dygalo said. "As soon as the weather allows, the Northern Fleet ships that are currently in the base, will sail for the designated area." Dygalo said allegations by some media that the operation had been delayed for the lack of funding were ungrounded.
A special Northern Fleet expedition was scheduled to sail for the operation area on May 15, while the operation was to start on May 20.