U.S. and North Korean officials talked for the third time since last week, to discuss next week's six-party negotiations on dismantling the North's nuclear weapons program, the U.S. State Department said.
The two nations had contact on Monday through the North Korean representative office at the United Nations, the so-called New York Channel, after two meetings last week, State Department spokesman Sean McCormack said at a press briefing in Washington yesterday, according to a transcript on its Web site.
"I'm not going to get into the details of the diplomatic exchange," McCormack said. "It is answering questions. Answering any questions they (North Koreans) may have," reports Bloomberg.
According to Korea Times, North Korean and U.S. diplomats made contact for the third time in a week on Monday to feel each other out ahead of the resumption of six-party nuclear talks in Beijing next week, a Washington official said.
The six-nation negotiations aimed at ending the standoff over North Korea’s nuclear weapons programs went into recess on Aug. 7 as Washington and Pyongyang struggled to find common ground. The fourth round of talks is scheduled to restart around Aug. 29.