Kate Moss, who has lost a string of lucrative fashion contracts following allegations of cocaine abuse, apologised last night "to all the people I have let down" and admitted she had a number of personal matters to resolve.
Moss, 31, said in a statement: "I take full responsibility for my actions. I also accept that there are various personal issues that I need to address and have started taking the difficult, yet necessary, steps to resolve them. I want to apologise to all of the people I have let down ... I am trying to be positive, and the support and love I have received are invaluable."
Her problems began last week after a tabloid newspaper published pictures of her allegedly snorting cocaine. Although her colourful lifestyle and waif-like glamour have helped boost the profits of the companies with which she is associated, the fashion industry has been gradually distancing itself from her since the pictures appeared in the Daily Mirror. Thuesday's apology coincided with the news that another company was rethinking its contract with Moss, according to Guardian.
Rimmel, a cosmetics firm which markets much of its range at teenage girls, said it was examining her two-year contract. If, as expected, the company dumps her it would end an association stretching back to 2001. The move follows decisions by Burberry, Chanel and H&M to ditch Moss following the drug allegations. Christian Dior and the New York jeweller H Stern are the only big names to have stuck with Moss so far.
Last year Moss's company, Skate, had a turnover of Ј1.3m, but each lost contract is expected to cost her several hundred thousand pounds.
In a short statement, Rimmel said: "Rimmel London is shocked and dismayed by the recent press allegations surrounding Kate Moss's behaviour. We are currently reviewing her contract."
Moss's contract with at least one international fashion house also appeared to be under threat. Jack Gross, chief executive of Gloria Vanderbilt denim, which recently hired her for a year of magazine adverts, said: "We weren't aware of any issues with Kate prior to this campaign."
He told the New York Times that since the photographs appeared, he had been re-evaluating the contract. On Wednesday, the Metropolitan police said they were "very likely" to interview her after launching an investigation into alleged cocaine use. Sir Ian Blair, the Metropolitan police commissioner, said he had ordered the investigation because of fears that the pictures could have a damaging effect on "impressionable young people".
After the incident with the shootdown of the Ilyushin Il-20 reconnaissance aircraft over the Mediterranean Sea, Russia will supply an S-300 anti-aircraft missile system to Syria