NATO has done its utmost to stop inter-ethnic conflicts in Kosovo, said head of NATO's Moscow bureau Rolf Welberts.
After the recent outbursts of violence the alliance has deployed additional battalions from France, UK, Italy and Germany in Kosovo and transferred a part of its forces in Bosnia to the region, Mr. Welberts told a briefing in Moscow on Wednesday.
"This conflict frustrates all international efforts on Kosovo settlement, democratization and rapprochement with Euro-Atlantic institutions. This is the return to violence, which is inadmissible in Europe," the NATO representative said.
According to him, NATO Kosovo Force (KFOR) has taken all measures to protect people regardless of their nationality.
However, only political leaders are capable of final settlement in the region, Mr. Welberts stressed. NATO leadership is holding permanent consultations on this issue with UN Secretary General and NATO high representative in Kosovo, he added.
Meanwhile, EU High Commissioner for Common Foreign and Security Policy Javier Solana said yesterday that the international forces failed to provide Serbs' security in Kosovo. "The national minorities, especially Serbs, were not protected. We should consider the improvement of the situation," Javier Solana said following the meeting with Serbian Prime Minister Vojislav Kostunica in Brussels.
Rescuers found the pilot of one of the two Su-34 fighters that had collided in midair in the Far East on January 18
In response to the unlawful December 1 arrest and detention of Chinese tech giant Huawei's chief financial officer Sabrina Meng Wanzhou by Canadian authorities in Vancouver at the behest of the Trump regime, facing possible unacceptable extradition to the US, Beijing warned its high-tech personnel last month against traveling to America unless it's essential.