The White House has condemned the on-line publication of thousands of secret documents relating to the Afghan war by a whistle-blower website and denounced it as an "irresponsible" act that could endanger the lives of the coalition forces in Afghanistan and threaten security of the United States.
In a statement on Sunday, National Security Adviser General James L. Jones said the U.S. administration "strongly condemns the disclosure of classified information by individuals and organizations which could put the lives of Americans and our partners at risk, and threaten our national security," according to RTTNews.
The disclosure of Afghan War Diary documents from 2004 to 2009 on the website, biggest ever leak in intelligence history so far, provide the real side of the war, the civilian deaths caused by the foreign troops with the precise geographical location of each event, and the military units involved and major weapon systems used. It also throws light on Pakistan's role in the war.
Wikileaks.org, a whistleblower website set up by journalist Julian Assange, has so far posted more than 1.2 million documents which are secret in nature from all over the world. The current "Afghan War Diary 2004-2010" lists war documents which are also made available exclusively to the Guardian newspaper as well as the New York Times and German weekly Der Spiegel.
The website said it has delayed 15,000 more reports to minimise the harm that the reports may cause to the source who supplied the documents, International Business Times reports.