Kiss discothèque, Santa Maria, Rio Grande do Sul State, the southernmost point of Brazil, Saturday night. Death toll 245, possibly rising; hundreds of injured victims. The cause was a fire, caused by a fireworks display during a live performance. The vast majority of the victims were teenagers.
According to Major Gerson da Rosa Ferreira, Commander of the Rescue Operation, most of the victims died from smoke inhalation or by being crushed in the stampede when the fireworks display span out of control and set fire to the acoustic isolation of the discothèque, which was composed of inflammable foam.
Eye witnesses report that there were between 500 and 2000 people inside the discothèque at the time of the tragedy. Reports from the scene indicate that only exit was open, which if true, raises the question what was the organization doing allowing a fireworks display inside a closed area with one exit?