Source Pravda.Ru

Crowe in attempt to reduce charges

Russell Crowe loyal team negotiating to have the charge against actor for throwing a phone at a New York hotel concierge reduced so he can continue to work in the US, he said.

The Hollywood star was charged with felony assault and criminal possession of a weapon after allegedly hurling a telephone at Mercer Hotel employee Nestor Estrada in SoHo, downtown Manhattan, in June.

At the time the actor was busy promoting the film Cinderella Man, in which he plays the lead role.

The notoriously short-tempered Crowe, 41, had said he was frustrated at being unable to call his wife Danielle Spencer because the phone in his room did not work properly and he became embroiled in the altercation.

Crowe has reportedly paid Estrada $US100,000 ($132,000) to settle the dispute but still faces criminal charges of assault.

If the New York District Attorney's (DA) office does not reduce the charges and the star is convicted, he could lose his right to work in the US – a major blow to his career, reports Herald Sun.

According to Globe and Mail, in an interview published Wednesday by The Bulletin magazine, Crowe said his lawyers are working to have the felony charge reduced to a less serious misdemeanor.

But even that could lead to immigration hassles, Crowe said.

"Every time I apply for a visa, it's like you need a suitcase into the embassy," he said, referring to the amount of paperwork required. "So to add this charge, even as a misdemeanour level ... basically stops me getting certain types of visa."

Crowe, who has a history of explosive outbursts, said he is prepared to accept his fate.

"If I'm an international menace like the [prosecuting] attorney is suggesting, then fine," Crowe said from his home in Sydney. "I'll just stay here."

Last month, he reached an undisclosed settlement with Estrada.

Prosecutors also charged Crowe with second-degree assault and fourth-degree criminal possession of a weapon the telephone.