Three Chicago area children have died of a toxic shock syndrome-like illness caused by a superbug they caught in the community and not in a hospital, where the germ is usually found.
In the cases reported in medical journal, the baby and two toddlers who died were otherwise healthy before they were separately admitted to a Chicago hospital with pneumonia-like symptoms between 2000 and 2004. Doctors said they believe the children probably inhaled the germ.
The cases show this already-worrisome staph germ has become even more dangerous by gaining the ability to cause this shocklike condition.
In 1999, drug-resistant staph infections killed four healthy children ranging in age from 1 to 13 years old in Minnesota and North Dakota. Since then, doctors have actively looked for such infections in their community, Chicago-Sun reports.
"There's a new kid on the block," said Dr. John Bartlett of Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, referring to the added strength of the superbug known as methicillin-resistant staphylococcus aureus, or MRSA.
"The fact that there are three community-acquired staph aureus cases is really scary," said Bartlett, an infectious disease specialist.
Health officials do not yet know how the drug-resistant staph causes this new syndrome, but it appears to be rare, said Dr. Clifford McDonald, an epidemiologist with the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
In response to the unlawful December 1 arrest and detention of Chinese tech giant Huawei's chief financial officer Sabrina Meng Wanzhou by Canadian authorities in Vancouver at the behest of the Trump regime, facing possible unacceptable extradition to the US, Beijing warned its high-tech personnel last month against traveling to America unless it's essential.
Rescuers found the pilot of one of the two Su-34 fighters that had collided in midair in the Far East on January 18