On Saturday, the Alexander Popov Petersburg Naval Institute of Radio Electronics is celebrating its 70th anniversary.
The institute administration reported that today a ceremony would be held in the yard of the Institute seated in Petergof, a St. Petersburg suburb, to unveil a monument to Alexander Popov (1859-1906), the inventor of wireless electronic communications (radio).
More than 25,000 qualified experts for the Russian Navy have graduated from the Institute over the 70 years of its existence. 105 graduates of the Institute have become admirals and generals. More than 100 teachers of the Institute have been given the USSR State Award and granted the title of honoured scientists and technicians.
Now the Institute has 8 radio electronics and 1 humanitarian departments. Thanks to modern equipment the institute is a centre of computer studies for naval officers.
Near the United Nations Glass Palace in New York, there is a metallic sculpture entitled "Evil Defeated by Good", representing Saint George transfixing a dragon with his lance. It was donated by the USSR in 1990 to celebrate the INF Treaty concluded with the USA in 1987