Pravda.ru

Russia » Politics

Russian Court Bans Access to YouTube Entirely

28.07.2010
 
Russian Court Bans Access to YouTube Entirely

A court of the city of Komsomolsk-on-Amur in Russia's Khabarovsk region, the Far East, ruled to restrict access to world's largest video hosting YouTube and four other websites, which, as legal experts believed, contained extremist materials, Pravda.Ru news service reports.

Prosecutors of the city conducted a monitoring of the Internet and found several resources of extremist content, the experts concluded.

One of the websites contained excerpts from Adolf Hitler's renowned work Mein Kampf, which was officially recognized in Russia as an extremist book several months ago. On YouTube, the prosecutors found an extremist video titled "Russia for Russians," which is included on the federal list of extremist materials.

Russia Today: Russian court bans YouTube

The court ordered the local provider to cut access to several Russian online libraries and youtube.com website.

A spokesperson for the Internet provide in the city claimed that the company did not own the resources and therefore could not act responsible for their content. Moreover, the provider does not have any rights to restrict access to information if subscribers do not infringe upon the conditions of the use of the Internet.

Google's division in Russia claimed that the ruling of the court of Komsomolsk-on-Amur to restrict access to five Internet websites, as well as to the international video hosting YouTube had been made in violation of the Constitution of the Russian Federation, RIA Novosti reports.

"The court ruling restricts access not to separate videos, but to the whole website. Therefore, it deprives users of free access to information. It is worthy of note that YouTube contains a lot of information including the channel of the Russian president," Alla Zabrovskaya, a spokeswoman for Google Russia said.






2311

Popular photos

Most popular

Russia will shoot down Turkish jets in Syria, Deputy Defense Minister says
Russia will shoot down Turkish jets in Syria, Deputy Defense Minister says
Deputy Defense Minister Anatoly Antonov said that Turkey had refused to confirm its agreement with the memorandum of flight safety in Syria and blocked a telephone hot line prior to the attack on the...
Turkey is nothing in comparison with Russia's military might - expert
Turkey is nothing in comparison with Russia's military might - expert
On January 30, the Turkish Foreign Ministry announced that a Russian military aircraft violated Turkish airspace. According to the Turkish side, a Russian Su-34 violated the country's airspace on...

Video

Popular photos

Рейтинг@Mail.ru Rambler_s_Top100_Service