Scott Speed will not be returning soon as a Toro Rosso driver in races, but could show up in other places for the team that dropped him earlier this week.
"He might still be used for testing," Gerhard Berger, co-owner of the Toro Rosso team, said Thursday at the Hungarian Grand Prix.
The only American in F1 since 1993, Speed was dropped this week from racing. There were reports of an altercation with team director Franz Tost after Speed crashed out of the last race, the European Grand Prix on July 22, and criticized the team.
"I grabbed him on the arm and said, 'Please stop,"' Tost said of a heated discussion with Speed in the pits. He added that the decision to drop Speed had already been made.
"It had nothing to do with what happened at the Nuerburgring," Tost said. "He didn't perform and that's why he is not here anymore."
Speed didn't score a point since starting for Toro Rosso at the beginning of 2006. His best finish was a ninth at the Monaco GP.
After it turned out that Deputy Prime Minister Andrei Belousov included the Fonbet betting company in the list of backbone enterprises that can count on state support, everyone started talking about these bookmakers.