A man suspected in ties with al-Quaeda surrendered to Saudi authorities under the kingdom's amnesty offer to wanted militants, the Saudi government said.
Khalid bin Odeh bin Mohammed al-Harbi, also known as Abu Suleiman al-Makki, surrendered at the Saudi Embassy in Tehran, becoming the third suspect to do so under the royal amnesty. He had been living along the Iranian-Afghan border, according to a statement issued by the Saudi Embassy in Washington, reports Bloomberg.
Al-Harby, who fought with bin Laden against the Soviets in Afghanistan about 20 years ago, was shown on state television being carried off a Saudi Airlines plane after arriving in Riyadh. He was pushed in a wheelchair through their airport, and was wearing traditional white robes and Arab headdress.
In a statement, the Interior Ministry said al-Harby contacted the Saudi Embassy in Tehran from the Iranian-Afghan border, where he was stranded. It was not disclosed what al-Harby was wanted for, and his name does not appear on the list of the kingdom's 26 most-wanted militants.
"Thank God, thank God ... I called the embassy and we were very well-received," al-Harby told Saudi TV in the airport terminal. "I have come obeying God, and obeying the (kingdom's) rulers."
He is the third man to take advantage of the amnesty that King Fahd (on picture) offered militants on June 23. The amnesty, lasts for one month, promises to spare the lives of those militants who surrender.
The largest supertanker owned by Venezuela will sail under the Russian flag. This is the VLCC (Very Large Crude Carrier) tanker with a deadweight of 320,800 tons