Authorities in northern Afghanistan raided shops selling mouse poison after four people died, having apparently mistaken it for a type of cold medicine, a health official said Wednesday. Thirteen other people were sickened by the poison over the last two months in Baghlan province. The most recent case was reported on Monday, when a 24-year-old man died, said Khalil Narmgo, the provincial health director.
Authorities on Tuesday temporarily closed down seven shops and confiscated all the mouse poison, which came in small tablets that people mixed with water and drank, thinking it was a common cold medicine, Narmgo said. He said, however, it was possible some people knew the tablets were actually poison and were attempting to commit suicide. "We announced on TV that all the shops who are still selling this animal poison need to stop," Narmgo said.
After it turned out that Deputy Prime Minister Andrei Belousov included the Fonbet betting company in the list of backbone enterprises that can count on state support, everyone started talking about these bookmakers.