The young Georgia man sentenced to 10 years for receiving oral sex from a 15-year-old girl when he was 17 is not eligible for bond while his appeal moves forward.
Supporters of Genarlow Wilson - including some of the jurors in his trial - protest his sentence, saying it is too harsh for the crime. State lawmakers have since changed the law that put him behind bars for a mandatory 10 years, but the state's top court said the law could not be applied retroactively.
A Monroe County Superior Court judge earlier this month called Wilson's sentence "a grave miscarriage of justice" and ordered his release.
State Attorney General Thurbert Baker's office appealed, saying the judge overstepped his authority. Baker argued the ruling could result in the release of some 1,300 Georgia child molesters from jail.
Earlier this week, prominent New York City investment manager Whitney Tilson and 10 others volunteered to provide $1 million (740,000 EUR) bond for Wilson after learning of his case from news accounts.
The order issued Wednesday by Douglas County Superior Court Judge David Emerson is likely to mean that Wilson, 21, will remain behind bars for several more months at least. The Georgia Supreme Court is not set to hear his appeal until October. The justices, without explanation, denied a motion by Baker to expedite the appeal.
Emerson also canceled a hearing that had been scheduled for July 5.
Wilson's lawyer, B.J. Bernstein, said she plans to file a notice of appeal Thursday morning with the Georgia Court of Appeals. She said she will seek expedited review.
Douglas County District Attorney David McDade, whose office convicted Wilson, did not immediately return a call for comment.
Wilson is in prison for aggravated child molestation related to the events at the 2003 New Year's Eve Party.
At first glance, America is mired in presidential showdown, the Republicans and the Democrats are on the brink of war, BLM protesters clash with white cops, and the economy is generally in decline