The Temple of Zacharia and Elizaveta in the Donskoy Monastery was built in 1730-1755. The Holy Prophet Zacharia and the holy righteous Elizaveta were the parents of the holy Prophet, Forerunner and Baptist of the Lord, John. Saint Zacharia was a priest in the Jerusalem church, St. Elizaveta was a sister of Saint Anne, the mother of the Most Holy Theotokos.
The Cathedral of the Renewal of the Church in the Name of Christ's Resurrection in Danilovskaya Sloboda. The temple is dedicated to the holiday of the Resurrection of the Christ, an Orthodox holiday celebrated on September 26 (September 13, old style) in commemoration of the completion of the construction and consecration of the Church of the Resurrection, now better known as the Church of the Holy Sepulcher. The temple is located in Great Starodanilovsky Sidestreet on the original site of the Danilov Monastery that was moved to a new place in the 16th century.
Danilov Monastery, or Holy Danilov Monastery is a monastery on the right bank of the Moskva River in Moscow, Russia. Danilov Monastery was founded in the late 13th century by Alexander Nevsky's son Daniil. Shortly before his death in 1303, Danilo took monastic vows and later was buried at Danilov Monastery. The Russian Orthodox church venerates him as a saint. The very first Muscovite archmandrite came from this monastery in 1300.
The Church of the Pokrov of Our Lady on Lyshchikova Hill is located in Tagansky district. Lyshchikova Hill is the northern slope of the large Tagansky Hill at the confluence of the Moskva River and the Yauza River. In the XV-XVI centuries, the area was the place of the Grand-ducal Pokrovsky Monastery. The main throne was consecrated in honor of the feast of the Protection of the Holy Virgin; the Chapels - in honor of the Kazan Icon of the Mother of God, in honor of Monk John of Damascus. The throne in the main altar was consecrated in honor of St. Simeon the Stylite.
The Cathedral of the Don Icon of the Mother of God on the territory of the Moscow Donskoy Monastery, now called the Small or the Old Cathedral, was built in 1591-1593. It is believed that it was built by Moscow architect Feodor Kon on the order of either Tsar Fedor Ivanovich or Boris Godunov. Initially, the temple was called Pokhvalynsky, but the parishioners renamed it according to a particularly revered icon - the Don Mother of God.
The Temple of Chernigov Miracle-Workers Prince Michael and Boyar Fedor is located in Chernigov Sidestreet and refers to the architectural style of Russian uzorochie. The church is dedicated to saints - Prince Mikhail Vsevolodovich of Chernigov and his close boyar Fyodor, who were killed in 1246 by order of Khan Baty. Legend has it that the church stands at the place where the relics of the saints, transported from Chernigov to Moscow, were kept.
The Church of the Saints of Cosmas and Damian (the Annunciation of the Most Holy Theotokos) in Shubino is located at the very beginning of Stoleshnikov Lane, not far from the monument to Prince Yuri Dolgoruky. Cosmas and Damian, in the Russian tradition known as Kuzma and Demian, were brothers, saints, bards, doctors and miracle workers, who presumably lived in the second half of the III - early IV century. On March 8, 1916, the church was used for the burial service of renowned artist V.I. Surikov.
The Novodevichy Convent of the Smolensk Icon of the Mother of God in the bend of the Moscow River, near Luzhniki, at the very end of the historic Prechistenka (now Bolshaya Pirogovskaya Street) is an Orthodox women's monastery. It was founded by the Grand Duke Vasily III in 1524 in honor of the Smolensk Icon of the Mother of God "Odigitriya", the main shrine of Smolensk, in gratitude for the mastery of Smolensk in 1514. In the XVI-XVII centuries, the convent served as a place of imprisonment of royal females. The architectural ensemble of the convent (an example of the Moscow baroque) was declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Saints Martha and Mary Convent of Mercy was founded in 1909 as a stauropegial convent of the Russian Orthodox Church. The convent had a special way of life, dating back to the founder of the convent, Grand Duchess, Martyr Elizabeth Feodorovna. After the death of her husband, Moscow Governor-General of Grand Duke Sergei Alexandrovich, Elizabeth Feodorovna sold her precious jewelry and acquired a mansion with four houses and an extensive garden on Bolshaya Ordynka. Sisters of the monastery were engaged in charity and medical work.